Friday, August 7, 2009

Personal Evaluation - History of Ancient Greece

Many students who have written personal evaluations in the past have praised the institution of assessing oneself at the close of the semester. It seemed to them a mark of honor to the student’s past accomplishment that a brief paper should be written about them. I do not agree. This student has shown himself studious in action, and it would be enough, I think, for his grade to be proclaimed in action, as you have just seen it done at the final exam organized by yourself and the administration. Your belief in my scholastic dedication should not be hazarded on the goodness or badness of one personal evaluation. Then it is not easy to speak with a proper sense of balance, when a writer’s audience finds it difficult to believe in the truth of what one is saying. A man who knows the facts and loves the work I have done throughout the semester may well think that a personal evaluation tells less than what he knows and what he would like to hear: others who do not know so much may feel envy for my scholarly achievements, and think that the writer over-praises, when he speaks of back-to-back over-nighters that are beyond their own capacities…However, the fact is that the personal evaluation was set up and approved by yourself and students of the past and it is my assignment to follow the tradition and do my best to meet your wishes and expectations.

Professor, since the personal evaluation questions my character, I must begin by saying that I have a better right than others to receive an "A" in your class and that I think I am quite worthy of the grade… There was a time when my peers and professors imagined that my dedication to academics had been ruined by war video games, but they came to consider it even greater than it really is, because of the splendid show I made on campus when, as a junior, I submitted a whole bunch of work (more than I have ever submitted in my collegiate career) and received straight "A’s" and saw that everything else was arranged in a style worthy of my victory (post finals house party)... It is perfectly fair for a man who has a high opinion of himself not to be put on a level with everyone else. Thus, I deserve an A+.
Think it over again, then, when you have finished reading my personal evaluation, and let this be a point that constantly recurs to your mind— that you are considering the fate of my grade in your class, that I will recieve only one grade for your class, and that its future for good or ill depends on this one single decision which you are going to make.

I sampled two speeches in the evaluation. Anyone know who they were and what they were talking about?

6 comments:

Sterling "Chip" Camden said...

I have no idea.

Did you get the A+?

Sterling "Chip" Camden said...

(forgot to request email updates)

John Camden said...

lol, yeah, I got the A!

John Camden said...

oh btw, the first part is Pericles giving a funeral oration, and the second part is Alcibiades advocating the deployment of a huge expedition to Sicily (which pretty much directly led to the fall of Athens)...

Sterling "Chip" Camden said...

Excellent!

I probably would have recognized them if it had been less than 20 years since I last read Thucydides.

Sterling "Chip" Camden said...

Or Plutarch either, for that matter